It’s Saturday morning and I want to get shit done.
Most weeks I’m in hyper-productive mode. And the weekends are wonderful when they show their faces, but I need constant reminding to dial it back when they do.
Otherwise, I end up overdoing it and am all out of sorts for the beginning of the week.
I’m highly aware of how productive being unproductive can be. Weekends are an exceptionally good time to hone in on activities – both physical and mental ones – that are rooted in self-compassion in the form of self-care.
That way, when Monday rolls around we can get back to getting shit done.
Am I saying you need to get a sitter and a fork over huge dollar bills for a 6 hour spa day? No. But wouldn’t that be fucking fantastic?
Rather, a really simple, no fee activity that supports your wellness requirements is writing a list of guidelines that remind you to keep your health and wellness needs at the forefront.
Even in the face of childcare or fur-child duty, house cleaning, or spouse wrangling (just keeping it real ladies and gents!) there are ways to make sure you take care of you.
So in order to inspire you to do that, here’s my Weekend Wellness List:
- Before tea, celery water – you know it makes your stomach feel better. So just do it, sister.
- If you’re feeling anxious, herbal chai coconut milk latte it up in lieu of caffeine.
- Remember to eat. When you postpone eating you suffer, as do other people. Take the time to make yourself a meal. You matter enough to do that.
- When you want to reach for your phone, read something instead. Put a sticky note on your phone to remind you. Inspire yourself, don’t wire yourself.
- Where are your healing affirmations? Go find them, and read them.
- You have a husband whose fingers aren’t broken. Ask him to help you with that to-do list. Steer clear of focusing on the fact that he didn’t volunteer his time.
- Walk outside. Stretch. Meditate.
- If you feel anxiety coming on, remember to pause.
That’s it, that’s all: my weekend wellness list.
Write one. Print it out. Reference often.